The Importance of Mobile App Testing
Mobile app testing is growing in relevance for any business that wants to be successful in ever-growing digital world and stay competitive! The most common issues of a mobile app could be prevented with a complete mobile app testing before launch.
A smartphone has become an indespensible part of everybody, whether it is an individual or a corporate. Having a mobile app or a mobile website is mandatory for any business. Morever, there are many new businesses emerged which are based on mobile app. Some of the most popular ones are messaging and calling apps like WhatsApp, Line, Snapchat, or Games like PokeMon Go, Candy Crush, or Wallet apps or other popular apps like Flipboard, Pocket, Vine, Tinder, Uber, Prisma, and many others.
For companies which are already in the mobile apps business, they are competing for the top place in apps downloads. While a lot believe that the success of a mobile app depends on the kind of program and its capabilities, and some of it does believe that the true differentiation between an application that sells and one that does not is its performance. It is not just about having a cool app, users are likely to abandon a program if its functionality is problematic, regardless of how promising it may seem. On the contrary, even the simplest applications could be lucrative for a business if it works flawlessly.
Around half of the poor reviews on the app stores are based on concerns such as crashes, poor performance, and battery drain. It’s a fact that there’s no major software engineering field rifer with possible hazards that mobile development. Everyone has experienced the sudden surge of frustration which results in a deleted app. That is why mastering the art of mobile testing is increasingly growing in relevance for any organization that wants to stay competitive. The majority of software companies already recognized the value and relevance of investing in mobile apps development. That is why it only makes sense to extend the investment to testing mobile apps as well, regardless of the added complexity and cost that programming and testing for various mobile platforms entails. In the long run, the extra work involved in quality assurance surely pays off.
Testing is the answer to the Mobile App concerns
Mobile testing provides the answer to mobile woes and could help developers prevent failure of a program. Nonetheless, knowing that testing should take place and determine what to test are different things. It could be a challenge to find out the specific elements that have to be tested, as if any of these vital aspects are missed, the application could erroneous. There are various areas that should be tested, and different features under every category as well. Check out the below image of mobile app testing checklist for details.
For instance, functionality testing must occur at the start. Functionality tests must include customer submission forms checks and the search feature. In addition, developers must check out media components like video and audio playback, compatibility of libraries and scripts and any calculations or manipulations that the application could carry out.
For any business, making sure that the app is working correctly is paramount. The same care that an organization puts into the product concept and creating the business, should be put towards testing and quality control of mobile apps. This kind of testing isn’t something that could be done in-house as it requires technical expertise. Professional mobile app testing companies could help identify issues before prospective customers could get frustrated with them, and implement ways to fix them as well before the app is rolled-out. A professional software testing company utilizes different types of phones with all major operating systems. Moreover, they use every different phone for testing that ensures proper performance. This enables them to discover more bugs and fix them before roll-out.
Developers need to test their programs in the same conditions that users will experience. This step is extremely important, and making such an environment is not difficult for testers. There are mobile testing platforms that enable developers to test their websites and apps quickly and more easily. With features such as real-time analytics and visual test environments, mobile app testing companies could guarantee the functionality and quality of their program while hastening the time to market. Testing is far from the most enjoyable part of developing a mobile app. Nevertheless, there is an array of tools that make the tasks a lot quicker, easier and smoother. Finding and solving bugs before an application is released would make it more popular and would see a wider take up in the long run.
Mobile App Testing Strategy
Mobile application testing strategy that ensures Quality Assurance align with business goals, customer expectations, and industry best practices:
1. Selection of a mobile app. With the selection, there are two choices, choosing a gadget model or choosing between substantial devices and emulators. Other factors like connectivity options, memory size and more should be accounted for when choosing a device model.
2. Mobile testing on cloud. Mobile testing that is cloud-based makes potentially infinite scenario combinations easier to manage. This is a desirable option for testing mobile apps. The cloud offers a web-based testing environment wherein apps could be deployed, tested and managed.
3. Emulators vs. Physical devices. One could also decide among emulators or physical devices. In the starting stages of development, device emulators are very useful since they help in fast and efficient testing, particularly in an agile development scenario. Physical device testing leads to beta testing as a very useful method which provides admittance to real devices, real-world testers, actual networks and a bigger geographic coverage.
4. Network connectivity. This considerably affects mobile apps as the majority of mobile applications rely on network connectivity to function correctly. Testing mobile apps in actual network environments is critical to get the real picture of the behavior of an app.
5. Manual vs. Automated. The key to a successful regression is automation during the development stages. However, automated testing requires a large amount of initial investment.
Mobile app testing has become a critical part of mobile apps development. Majority of problems that an app faces, could be addressed through a successful mobile app testing. This also increases the go-to-market time and ensures success of the app. A professional mobile app testing company could guarantee the functionality and quality of the app.
This blog is written by mobile app development and Quality Assurance team at TatvaSoft. With our years of experience, expertise and processes, we have helped leading organizations worldwide to implement their Enterprise Mobility objectives with completely tested solutions.