Importance of code qualityOct 8, 2018
Now a day’s quality of software code is really important. If one declares “Hey, I have implemented a software!” It’s a good thing but if you say “Hey, I have created a quality software!” then it will impact a lot. Writing a good quality of code is not a time-consuming and tedious monotonous task. It will be like you are planting a seed which definitely gives you various benefits later on and results in a fruitful outcome. We as a software developer always say to the customer that we will provide you best industry standard software but are we actually providing it? Do we follow any specific rules? Just think about it.
Why we require a Good Code Quality?
Everyone likes to use quality software application development which performs fast and efficient. Below are the key benefits of good quality code.
- Easy to read
- Easy to maintain
- Easy to understand
- Clean & reusable code
- Effective performance
- Code consistency throughout the software
- Easy to demonstrate or knowledge transfer
How to achieve Good Code Quality?
There are basic points which you need to focus while doing code –
- Add proper comments on every methods, functions and logic.
- Remove unused commented code which you left as it is while doing code.
- Write generalize code which can be reusable.
- Use proper data types and names for properties, variables, methods and classes.
- Do proper casting only when it’s needed.
- Loops directly impact on performance. Try to avoid it or check the other solutions.
- Use basic oops fundamentals as possible as you can. It will provide you overall clean architecture.
- Do code review once you developed the functionality or module or page.
Tools you can use to achieve Good Code Quality
There are several tools and extensions available online to use for maintaining the proper standard of code, style and provide you the suggestions for possible refactoring code or methods. Below is the overview of some tools that are commonly used –
SonarLint is an open source IDE extension that helps you detect and fix quality issues as you write code. Like a spell checker, SonarLint curlicues flaws so that they can be checked and fixed before committing code.
Below are the features of using SonarLint –
- Bug detection: Benefit from thousands of rules which detect common mistakes, tricky bugs and known vulnerabilities.
- Instant feedback: On-the-fly! Issues or mistakes are detected and reported instantly while you code, same like a spell-checker tool.
- Know what to do: SonarLint accurately finds the location where the problem is and gives you recommendations/solutions on how to fix it.
- Learn from your mistakes: Clean texts let you understand issues in details and improves your coding standards.
- Uncover old issues: Check issues were already existing, and fix them before committing your code.
SonarQube (formerly known as Sonar) is an open source tool suite to measure and analyze to the quality of source code. It is developed in Java but can able to analyse the code in about 20 different programming languages.
Below are the features of using SonarQube –
- Continuous Inspection
SonarQube provides the capability to show the health of an application along with highlighting issues newly introduced.
- Detect Tricky Issues
SonarQube Code analyzers are equipped with powerful path sensitive data flow engines to detect tricky issues such as null-pointers dereferences, logic errors, resource leaks.
- Centralize Quality
One place to implement a shared vision of code quality for programmers, tech leads, managers and executives in the management of some to several thousand projects.
- DevOps Integration
SonarQube integrates with the entire DevOps toolchain including build systems, CI engines, promotion pipelines… using webhooks and its comprehensive RestAPI.
StyleCop analyses used to the consistency of source code. It enforces developers to follow the specific set of rules to maintain consistency in code. It can be execute from inside of Visual Studio or integrated into an MSBuild project. StyleCop has also been integrated into many third-party development tools.
StyleCop provides a various set of rules which performs to our code. You can also customize rules based on your need. Below are the set of rules –
You can add StyleCop to your project via Nuget package manager.
ReSharper contains various kind of extensions/tools to perform a different type of checks.
TatvaSoft is a CMMi Level 3 and Microsoft Gold Certified Software Development Company offering custom software development services on diverse technology platforms, like Microsoft, SharePoint, Biztalk, Java, PHP, Open Source, BI, Big Data and Mobile.