If there is any development framework that doesn’t need an introduction, then it is .NET development. The .NET framework is already renowned and has been pioneering the development process of many enterprises. Most of them are already utilizing development skills and are continuously growing to deliver the best outcome possible. The IT industry in specific has a lot of technology options, and they can choose anyone they want, so what makes dot net a distinct choice for various clients? When it comes to catering .NET development services, you need technical and expert .NET developers to cater to the desired needs. So, what will you do? Will you hire a software developer with excellent dot net development skills or thinking of hiring them in-house, then what are the required backend .NET developer skills?
Table of Content
- What is .NET?
- The Need for .NET Developers in Software Development
- What Should an IT Recruiter Understand While Hiring a .NET Developer?
- What is the Most Required .NET Skill Set?
This blog aims to shed light on all the vital aspects of dot net developer skill sets that one must possess to develop high-performing apps. So, let’s get started
1. What is .NET?
.Net is a software development platform from Microsoft that offers a controlled programming environment to design, develop and deploy software. It is a combination of various types of programming languages, tools, and libraries to develop different kinds of applications. There are a wide range of implementations of the .NET code. You can also execute them in operating systems like Windows, ios, Android, Linux, macOS, and more.
.NET app development framework supports running various applications, websites, desktop apps, and other services on the operating system in which it is installed. On the other hand, .NET Core is very similar to the .NET framework. But it is open-source on Github which means that .NET developers can use it for cross-platform implementation to run websites, console applications, and other web services on Windows, Linux, and macOS.
1.1 What is a Backend .NET Developer?
A backend developer is just a programmer who can use any programming language to build various useful business logic for information systems and software applications. Through the front end of the website or application, a developer can access many .NET Core components by user input. A backend developer is also responsible to maintain communication between the database and the frontend of the software application in a very organized manner.
1.2 What’s the Difference in the .NET Developer Skill Set Needed Between .NET and .NET Core?
Both the frameworks are very similar but they do vary when we dig a little into the details. .NET and .NET Core frameworks distinguish from each other in terms of libraries and components. Though a .NET developer should not have any problem using the .NET Core, there are certain features like NET C++ programming languages, ASP.NET Core Forms, and more that are not supported by .NET Core which can be very useful in web services.
Developers use .NET Core in new projects for startups where you have to build a product right from the scratch. You can borrow some of the components from the .NET framework to use in .NET Core apps but you can’t do it the other way around. Many top brands also use .NET Core to make new modules or rewrite their entire software into it. But to accomplish this, they have to hire a .NET developer that is skilled in both .NET and .NET Core technology framework.
2. The Need for .NET Developers in Software Development
As we started, the dot net is universally popular and one of the most common programming frameworks used by the majority of companies around the globe. Regardless of the industry in which you operate, using.Net and ASP.Net to build automated apps for your organization may be quite beneficial. You will need the help of an expert developer when you fall into one of the following circumstances, then you must think of hiring
2.1 When You Want to Develop Distinct Desktop and Mobile Apps
When your business needs to develop an app or web pages that are out of the league and different from what is already present in the market, then you must look for professionals. Unlike other object-oriented programming languages, Dot net simply works by easily syncing with Microsoft SQL server and other essential types of entity framework core to develop web applications. Entity Framework Core is a cross-platform, lightweight, and open-source version of Entity Framework that also works with ASP.NET Core. You can create web forms, webpages, user interfaces with the help of efficient dot net developers.
2.2 When You Want to Develop a Secured Project
Also, when you want to develop an application using ASp.NET which needs to be secure and scalable then you need the help of professionals in developing that. Developers need to have an upper hand on the open-source ASP.net platform and an understanding of the .NET development industry to develop a secure and high-performing application. Experienced dot net developers know and understand client-side web development needs and configure those applications accordingly with layers of security factors in them.
2.3 When the Requirements are Specific Data-Driven App
When your needs are to develop a data-driven application, you need the expertise of dot net developers with thorough theoretical knowledge and practical implementations of .NET. You will receive numerous benefits if you partner with the most sought-after technology professionals with a knack for specific data-driven app development. As a long-serving .NET development company, your partnered company will understand all the specific requirements and deliver expected business results.
3. What should an IT Recruiter understand while hiring a .NET developer?
The answer is their knowledge regarding the .NET platform and .NET skills.
We have listed down the most essential things IT recruiters need to know when they associate with the .NET platform.
- Similar to the Java environment, .NET has only signifying familiarity with a particular language- the most commonly used language will remain C#- is simply not enough.
- To be a valued professional .NET developer, you need to understand libraries and frameworks, such as ASP.NET, MVC, or Entity Framework. These are the building blocks of any non-trivial commercial application built using NET.
- It is essential not to hire the candidates if they don’t understand a single framework from the requirements list. .NET frameworks are often related and if the applicant has a conventional understanding of one of them, they can efficiently transfer to the expected one.
- Despite not understanding the library or framework in the issue, they should still follow the concepts and systems behind it. If you require to study more, provide samples of these connections a bit further down.
- Practical experience is what figures and delivers real benefit to an employer. .NET experience from the academy, except it’s very practical, doesn’t yield much to industry coding. Although, if you are searching for a subordinate .NET developer, education is an essential aspect.
4. What is the Most Required .NET Skill Set?
It is now time to understand what type of skills a .net developer must possess to offer the best interactive web applications and offer the best web services. Since .net is widely famous among developers to develop Web application and Desktop application, you must ensure what .net developer skills does your potential developer possess and what is his experience with .net technology. As a developer, you should know Unit testing frameworks suitable for the .NET framework.
Plentiful experience and knowledge dealing with code structures and system architecture is a must-have, apart from working knowledge of at least one.NET language:
- C# (short for “C sharp”) is a programming language.
- F# (sharp F)
Other than the net core languages, your potential .net developer must also have expertise technical skills with the following
- Libraries and the.NET stack — In the .NET world , ASP.NET MVC is dominating the web market and replacing several of the competitors. You should master the skill as a developer. It will assist the developer in creating web apps that are both quick and safe.
- Databases — Although.NET is compatible with a variety of databases, job descriptions frequently specify SQL Server or Oracle. Engineers having knowledge of SQL Server may expect to make a lot of money.
Any .NET developer you partner with should have the theoretical organizational and commercial knowledge of all.net developer activities. In addition, one should be able to work independently, be creative, be flexible and always be willing to learn new things. They should also be thinking customer-centric and have strong verbal communication skills to communicate timely for the defects. They should have the ability to do logical, computational, and arithmetic calculations and do everything that’s required in addition to .net knowledge.
Microsoft comes with its own cloud platform named Azure. And it is one of the most popular cloud platforms in the world. So, the demand for .NET developers who are skilled to use its functions is growing day by day. The resources needed for the project and the usage of computing power are the decisive factors in marking the price for Azure services.
This concludes that even after the app deployment, careless software development may result in increased bills. Since some developers don’t have enough time to master the solutions and technologies that come inside the Azure package, these new ideas aren’t able to make it easier to develop the most favourable software for the users.
Web apps, Serverless Functions, Cosmos DB, Service fabric, Blog storage, Containers, and microservices are some of the problems that a .NET developer would be familiar with in regards to the Azure cloud platform. Moreover, it comes with many functionalities.
4. 2 ASP.NET MVC
The model View controller aspect of ASP.net is an application framework developed using Microsoft Technologies. Though, the usage is not extensive in development because of the other advancement in web programming. NET developers who want to enhance their frameworks and development pace should investigate ASP. Net MVC, its benefits, and drawbacks; even if you decide to use a different .NET framework, in the end, the information is still valuable. The .NET MVC framework supports many programming models and allows the development of secure web applications easily. In software development, if you have a good understanding of .net MVC shows that you gave a core understanding of how to develop interactive web applications. NET developers can develop a web application by using ASP .NET MVC and ASP.NET Web Form. However, ASP.NET MVC is totally different from ASP.NET Web Forms let us see how:
Asp.Net Web Forms
- Asp.Net Web Form follows a traditional event-driven development model.
- It has web server controls.
- It supports view state for state management from the client-side.
- Asp.Net Web Form has file-based URLs which means the file name that exists in the URLs must have its physical existence.
- Asp.Net Web Form follows Web Forms Syntax
- In Asp.Net Core Web Form, Web Forms(ASPX) i.e. views are tightly coupled to Code behind(ASPX.CS) i.e. logic.
- It has Master Pages that give a consistent look and feels.
- It has User Controls for code reusability.
- It has built-in data controls
- It is perfect rapid development with powerful data access.
- It is not Open Source.
- Asp.Net MVC is a lightweight model that follows MVC (Model, View, Controller) pattern-based development process.
- Asp.Net MVC has HTML helpers.
- It does not support the view state.
- Asp.Net MVC has route-based URLs which means that URLs must be divided into controllers and actions. Also, it is not based on the physical file but the controller.
- It follows customizable syntax (Razor as default)
- Views and logic are kept separately in ASP.NET MVC.
- It has Layouts to give a consistent look and feel.
- It uses Partial Views to reuse the code.
- Asp.Net MVC is a lightweight framework that allows you to have complete control over markup. It supports a wide range of features that accelerate the development process. So, it is an ideal programming language to create an interactive web application with advanced web standards.
- It is Open Source.
4.3 Ability to Refactor Code
Yes when you look for a .net developer, they must have the ability to refactor codes. As each refactoring examines the whole scope of the code selection, it then applies the code to the whole section, including cross-language code, and uses this knowledge to change code most intelligently feasible. A developer must begin work on an existing application with potentially poor code quality. He should be able to reorganize the code without altering the external behaviour to increase the code quality.
4.4 ASP.NET MVP
The Microsoft MVP credential is one of the most coveted in the industry. Model view presenter is a pattern that occurs between the layers and showcases the way it interacts between layers. Hire.Net developers who have the same certification in ASP.NET MVP. Because they will have in-depth understanding and leadership qualities and a high level of expertise in the .NET framework that enables them to create robust apps with strong framework knowledge. They will also have a unique understanding of the .net framework class library, entity framework, net web forms, and other asp.net features. Furthermore, it will improve your project’s scalability. As a result, if you hire an a.Net developer with such a skill set, your project will have a mentor.
For the software development process, when you are selecting .net as technology, then this is the most important skill you must look for in a .net developer. Look for .NET developers who are well-versed in database technologies such as MySQL, Microsoft Cosmos DB, and Microsoft SQL server. In fact, we know that .net developers work with multiple data sets and so proficiency in all types of datasets is a must to develop optimized web pages. The abilities multiply when a developer can work with systems like Entity Framework . With Entity Framework, .NET developers don’t have to worry about the objects and relationships in the application database, and can still use it efficiently. This is the most in-demand expertise in the.NET development business these days, making him the most sought-after employee. Specialized knowledge of databases such as MS SQL Server or Oracle may also assist you in selecting the best.NET developer.
4.6 Ability to Work in SCRUM
Scrum is one of the most preferred methodologies in agile frameworks. .Net developers with all the desired skills must have one more thing that’s a must- the ability to work in Scrum. You can use it to develop specific functionalities of web applications and services. Any software engineer including a .net developer should be able to work in SCRUM and have a full grasp of Agile development concepts. You’ll be able to deal with Project Managers more easily if you learn this ability. Knowing anything about the waterfall method to projects might be useful in some instances.
4.7 Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer (MCSD)
The MCSD certification is in high demand in the market for .net developers. A.NET developer who is proficient in this area is highly regarded. Microsoft is responsible for its development and maintenance, and the certification procedure is updated every two years. The .net developer skills are upgraded. As a result, a .net developer with experience in this field should compulsorily take this certification to be Microsoft certified solutions developer.
4.7.1 MTA – Microsoft Technology Associate
Microsoft Technology Associate is the first level of certification for the .NET developer. It certifies that the developer has a beginner level of exposure to Microsoft technologies. To receive an MTA certificate, developers have to pass the exam. There are many courses in this particular arena alone but .NET developers can choose what kind of exam they want to give.
4.7.2 MCSA (Web Applications, Universal Windows Platform)
Although it is the second level of certification from Microsoft, it does not need any type of prerequisites. A candidate can receive two types of certifications – web application and universal Windows platforms.
4.8 Exploring Client-Side Technologies
Finally, in a nutshell, we can say that .net developers are highly demanded. And their skills must be known in advance to get the best results harnessing from their knowledge and skill set. One must not overlook the theoretical knowledge as well as the technical skills of a valued professional. Like other object-oriented programming languages, the .net framework has diversified features that help.net developers develop innovative applications.
A little communication gap might result in significant variations in your job. Thus choose .net develop with good soft skills and communication abilities. With our experience, we created a list of the most important factors to consider while selecting and hiring the finest of the best candidates who are a good fit for your project.