For applications to run seamlessly on all platforms and using all frameworks, some special web service is needed. This includes IDEs which are integrated development environments helping programmers to develop applications in a single user interface. IDEs make the software application development process easier and more efficient. They are an all-inclusive package that compiles, debugs, edits, and does all other necessary tasks just like an ideal Node.js Development company would do. This blog will bring insights on how IDEs make a difference and which one will suit your basic business needs, saves time, and ultimately boost the overall process.
1. What is IDE?
Integrated Development Environment (IDE) is a software that combines common developer tools into a single graphical user interface for developing programmes (GUI). An IDE usually has three components;
- Source code Editor- It is a text editor that can help you write software code by highlighting syntax with visual cues, giving language-specific auto-completion, and checking for problems as you type.
- Automation Tool: Utilities that automate simple, repeated operations such as compiling computer source code into binary code, packaging binary code, and performing automated tests as part of making a local version of the product for usage by the js developer.
- Debugger: A programme that can visually display the location of a bug in the original code and is used to test other applications.
2. Top IDEs For Node.js App Development
Apart from that, Microsoft has created a robust ecosystem of plugins and extensions to support other popular programming languages like Java, Python, C++, PHP, and others.
Highlights of Visual Studio Code are
- In-built CLI (Command Line Interface)
- Integrated Terminal
- Split View & Zen Mode Helpers
- Context Menus, Intellisense
- Git Integration
- Live share
Developer’s Review Corner
Total Stars – 138K
Total Forks – 23.7K
Overall rating – 4.8 Out of 5
2.2 Cloud 9
The second most popular in this list is Cloud 9. Going with the name, it is a cloud-based IDE that allows js developers to run code in various languages, including C++, Python, Node.js, Rube, and more. This online code editor and debugger can thus be used to create a node.js application and of course in js application development.
Highlights of Cloud 9 include
- Integrated serverless development tools
- An image editor that is pre-built inside the system
- Editing code and sharing data while working together
- Integrated terminal
- An integrated debugger
- A connection to any Linux server is available
2.3 IntelliJ IDEA
JetBrains has developed another IDE called IntelliJ IDEA that uses Java and Kotlin.
To use IntelliJ IDEA to construct a NodeJS application, you’ll need to install a NodeJS plugin. This will allow you to take advantage of features like code assistance, code completion, syntax highlighting and more for your next NodeJS project.
IntelliJ IDEA, unlike other IDEs, lets you compile, execute, and debug NodeJS apps right inside the IDE. Furthermore, its predictive technology predicts what a developer is attempting to type and automatically completes it for him. As a result, the developers’ productivity is increased and the coding experience is improved.
Highlights of IntelliJ IDEA
- Smart and Finished Code
- Editor-centric environment
- Support for frameworks
- Inline debugger
- Test-runner and the coverage
- Can prefer versions as per the needs
2.4 Sublime Text
The next one in this list of NodeJS code editors and IDEs is Sublime text. Sublime Text comes with a plethora of sophisticated features like rapid project switching, split editing, and more. Furthermore, Sublime Text provides many selection choices to handle files more quickly, the best performance, and the ability to alter almost everything with simple JSON files.
One thing that makes Sublime Text an outstanding IDE is the custom components that it provides and the unparalleled results obtained. In fact, this program also works on Mac, Linux, and Windows, and also allows you to open files with just a few clicks. Furthermore, the many selection options aid in speedier file manipulation while maintaining excellent performance. It clearly makes debugging software code simplified and web application development easier with the code preview option.
Highlights of Sublime text are
- Command Palette
- Instant Project Switch
- Split Editing
- Powerful Package Ecosystem & API
Let’s see What Quora experts have to say about Why Sublime Text is so Popular
There are a few IDEs that are Eclipse-based that focus on web app development, Aptana is one of them. This tool supports a variety of languages including CSS3, Ruby, Python, and Node.js that may be used to design and test an application in the same environment. Developers can use Aptana’s flexibility to add breakpoints to scripts, control project execution, and investigate variables.
Highlights of Aptana:
- Inbuilt Debugger
- Git integration in the terminal
- Help with the codes
- Integration with Heroku
2.6 Komodo IDE
Another popular name in this set of IDEs is Komodo. Like all other IDEs, this one is also cross-platform and smoothly mixes with other IDEs. It enables programmers to create powerful apps using a variety of programming languages like Ruby, Node JS, Perl, and others.
Let’s see the popularity of Komodo IDE on Google trends
NodeJS developers may use Komodo IDE to create unique configurations, apply comparable changes across numerous selections, track changes, and run commands.
Let’s look at some Pros and Features of Komodo IDE as highlighted by StackShare
Highlights of Best Features in Komodo
- Pre-installed Browser
- Version control
- Syntax highlighting
- DOM viewer and Markdown
- Multi-window editing and Split view
Here is what Quora experts have to say about using Webstorm for Front-end development:
Here are some Pros of using WebStorm as highlighted by Stackshare
The webstorm has been updated to provide support for Node.js-specific tools on Linux. It also includes tools such as a code debugger, a version control system, and a terminal.
Highlight of WebStorm
- Tool integration that is seamless
- Create custom configurations
- Built-in tools with a lot of power
- Intelligent coding support
The next one on this list is Koding which is an open-source, cloud-based integrated development environment for Node.js, PHP, Ruby, and other programming languages. Koding is an IDE that is inclusive of many other functionalities which includes syntax highlighting, keyboard shortcuts, auto indenting, code folding, and several other ways of code preview that is used as a built-in browser. Koding supports multiple cursors, allowing you to make similar edits at the same time.
Let’s check the trend for the last 5 years in Google trends
You can take advantage of Koding in many ways by utilizing its core features like code preview, workspace, syntax highlighting, and more when using it for Node JS app development. The multi cursor support feature in the IDE allows developers to make multiple changes at the same time.
Here are some feature of Koding as highlighted in Stackshare
Highlights of Koding
- Multi-VM deployment
- Keep the process going.
- SUDO and SSH access.
- Cloud providers get seamless support.
- Web programming
- IDEs that are adaptable and easy to use
- Dev environment with a lot of power
Another cloud-based IDE that is far more popular than the most well-known is Eclipse. The Eclipse platform serves as the foundation for the Eclipse IDE, is made up of plug-ins, and is designed to be extended with new ones. The Eclipse platform, which was created using Java, can be used to create rich client applications, integrated development environments, and other tools. Any software program for which a plug-in is available can be used with Eclipse as an IDE.
Let’s look at what Quora professionals have to say on “Why prefer Eclipse IDE instead of other IDE”
In eclipse, you may find certain keybinding features that make the solution even more lucrative for Node.js developers. Eclipse also has a ready-made stack as well as a pre-installed debugger. This is open-source and hence many of its modules are free to use. This allows Node.js developers to make the best use of this IDE for most of their upcoming development projects.
Some of the most essential features that make eclipse different from other IDEs are
- Eclipse has Maven integration git code
- It also has a separate Java development tools
- You can easily use Git integration
- It also has SDK plugin and assembly development
Here are some recent improvements in Eclipse IDE
Next in our list is WebMatrix and it is a fantastic IDE used to develop NodeJS apps. Microsoft has created this cloud-based IDE and hence there is no question of reliability or security. Just like all other Microsoft applications, this one is also safe and secure. Despite the fact that the tool is only available to Windows developers as this was built by Microsoft for those specific web developers. WebMatrix not only supports web development but allows them to create robust web applications using Node.js in a quick and efficient manner.
Here is what Quora professionals have to say about using WebMatrix
The features of WebMatrix Code include
- The IDE includes built-in templates, cloud publishing, and modern code completion features.
- The editor also has the best features including an integrated interface and a powerful search engine.
- Simple coding
Here are some Statistics on how popular is Atom
The next one on this list is Atom which is a code completion text editor and a popular IDE. Atom is simple, easily customizable, and comes with pre-installed UI and syntax themes. Atom is a
Here is the trend graph of Atom IDE
It’s based on the Electron framework, which allows you to create cross-platform apps using common web technologies.
Atom IDE for Node JS development includes the following features:
- Atom has tools like replace and find.
- It is platform-independent.
- Autocomplete feature
- It can be used in several windows operating system.
Let’s see how famous is Brackets in the development world
The tool is extremely popular as a Node JS IDE because of the services it offers to developers. There are features such as inline editing, command line integration, live previewing, and processor support. While you use Brackets, you can run multiple NodeJS projects, npm scripts, and gulp scripts.
Here are some benefits of using Bracket IDE for web development:
Syntax hints will be displayed in the node.js editor to help you code faster.
The most important features of Brackets IDE are as follows:
- Live demonstration
- Split View
- Support for preprocessors, inline editing
- Preprocessor Assistance
- LESS and SCSS files for quick editing and live highlight
- Automatic code completion
Let’s check some Statistics on Github about Gitpod
There is room for improvement. Gitpod comes pre-installed with the most recent stable Node.js version. GitLab, GitHub, and Bitbucket are all integrated.
Some of the most prominent features of Gitpod are
- It has easy access to all the root files.
- It offers you two types of editors- the default editor and Code.
- There are prebuilt workspaces and automated workspaces.
- It has Linux Terminals and can work well on any device.
- GitPod allows easier snapshots of ideas and is simply backed up by GitHub, GitLab, and Bitbucket integration.
Vim is Vi’s most recent and popular incarnation, which supports both text and graphical interfaces and can run on any platform. Vim is a text editor with a challenging learning curve. Unix and Mac users will be familiar with Vim.
Here is how active the community of VIm is on Github
It’s simple and straightforward. It is available for Windows and is completely free. When compared to other text editors, Vim uses a small amount of system memory and loads quickly.
Some new features of Vim are being discussed here
Features of Vim editor are
- It has been an editor that functions as a default fallback.
- Whether you’ve just installed the operating system, booted into a minimal system repair environment, or are unable to access any other editor, Vim is almost always open.
- It’s highly customizable, and you can make tailor-made apps using your own coding style and workflow.
- You can see that it is highly configurable and uses simple text files to store its configuration.
- There are numerous plug-ins available for Vim.
Here is a small highlight about the feature of Vim from Stackshare
Claimed to be the best IDE for node.js development is Codenvy. Its cloud workspace enables nodeJS developers to code with portable Docker runtimes. If you’ve started a disaster, Codenvy has a version control mechanism.
Here is What Twitter uses have to say about using Codenvy
The following are the best features of Codenvy IDE:
- DevOps workspace platform with a one-click docker environment for team onboarding and collaboration
- Unique features to warrant its own entry in the list.
- Its dev mode configures the runtime and integrates root-privileged terminal, SSH access, debugger, and language-related services.
Ever heard of a lobster of this kind? Well, CodeLobster is one of the underpinning names in IDEs. CodeLobster includes several modes such as autocomplete that eliminates the need to remember functions, attributes, tags, or arguments. You can use the IDE to simplify and streamline your PHP development. You can use Codelobster to back up a variety of frameworks and have file transfer protocol capabilities.
Codelobster Node JS IDE highlights include:
- Highlighting is simple and straightforward.
- Support multiple languages.
- Systematic revision control.
- In the professional version, there are CMS plugins for Drupal, Joomla, WordPress, and Magento.
- Extensions for the PHP framework in the pro version.
Here are the feature of CodeLobster at a glance
The last one in this list is CodeLite IDE and this list cannot be completed without this one. This one is developed to support Node.js compiler, debugger, and memory, and also helps extensively in code completion.
Some of the notable features that distinguish CodeLite:
- SFTP pane for terminal connection
- MySQL, SQLite, and PostgreSQL databases are all supported.
Here are the feature of Codelite at a glance: