Every software must be tested perfectly to ensure its quality and to make sure that it is bug-free. For this, it is important to have a perfect test plan that can easily incorporate both during software testing and after the software is prepared. Besides, with the evolution of agile methods in QA, there are many different ways that can be used to test the software, and also there are different types of manual and automated software testing tools that can be used in the software testing process. Each of these test management tools comes with unique features and easy-to-use methods. This makes the selection choice difficult for software testing companies. Therefore, in this blog, we will go through some of the latest test management tools that can be used to make the software better. And this will help you make the right choice.
1. What are Software Testing Tools?
In software testing, “testing tools” refers to a collection of resources used for tasks including creating test plans and test scripts, collecting requirements, running tests, documenting bugs, and analyzing results. Software testing tools can be useful to perform various testing activities like app testing, web testing, desktop testing, web services, load testing, regression testing, automate testing process, website speed testing, create test scripts, testing complex scenarios, testing native apps and many more. The primary function of these testing instruments is to examine the stability, completeness, and other aspects of software performance.
2. Types of Software Testing Tools
Software testing may be split into two categories: static testing and dynamic testing. The equipment used for these assessments also have specific names. The software testing tools can be divided into two classes:
2.1 Static Test Instruments
Static testing tools are used to improve static testing procedures. When conducting tests with these methods, standard practice is followed. These testing tools do not verify the software’s functionality.
2.2 Dynamic Test Instruments
The procedure of dynamic testing is taken care of by the dynamic testing tools. These methods of software testing make use of real-world or real-time information.
3. How to Choose Best Software Testing Tools?
Selecting an appropriate software testing tool entails making sure it is competent, powerful, versatile, and meets the needs of the project. When we talk about a testing tool being “versatile” we’re referring to its ability to easily handle all of your test cases and data. It should also be adaptable enough to work with other third-party tools, allowing you to add new features, modify existing ones, and streamline the testing process.
4. Best Software Testing Tools
The first one on our list is Selenium automated software testing tool. It is one of the most well-known and popular software testing solutions. This one is specifically used to control a browser, as well as easy recording and replay interactions with the browser. This program is unique and it can handle a variety of frameworks, including Data-Driven, JUNIT, NUNIT, Cucumber, and TestNG.
Selenium is open-source and so it’s a completely free service. It also has the most advanced automated browser. Because there is no official support, any setup or advanced functionality will have to be figured out by your team or any online community you can connect with. Selenium loses some points in the usability part of the evaluation.
- It’s a top-notch software testing tool because of the time savings you’ll see from the parallel test execution capabilities.
- When contrasted to other manual testing methods, Selenium has relatively low system requirements.
- This software testing tool allows test cases to be created and run on any operating system.
4.2 Apache JMeter
Apache JMeter is a free and open-source software testing tool that is java-based and designed specifically for load testing. Other than that, it has a strong impact on building web applications. It revolves around the usage of several out-of-box applications that support all plugins. Specifically, LDAP, SOAP, FTP, TCP, MOM, Mail Protocols, shell scripts, Java objects, and databases.
Apache Jmeter also supports other features that include powerful Test IDE, dynamic reporting options, different ways of command-line interface, caching of test results, portability, highly extensible core, and multi-threading. JMeter is very popular on this list and more than 10000+ companies adapt them for their regular app testing functions..
- The user interface is intuitive and pleasant.
- Create test scenarios while recording them.
- Tests may be run through either a graphical user interface or a command line interface.
- Multiple server, application, and protocol types are supported.
- Compatibility with common CI/CD platforms.
Katalon is one of the most popular names and top preferred automated testing tools. It is one of the most used cross browser testing tools and it doesn’t even need expertise,it’s that simple. The non QA testers can also learn Katalon quickly. Also, this forum is quite easy and fast for all software testing types – whether mobile app testing or web apps testing. This codeless app creation program was for beginners who can easily script extensions and other custom options.
The only disadvantage of writing this code is that it would restrict the acceptable number of languages.
- Re-identification and re-storing of objects using XPath and the built-in repository.
- Allows for programming in Java and Groovy.
- Image-based testing functionality is already included.
- Tools for continuous integration should be supported.
- Dual-editor support is available.
- Adaptable process flow configuration.
Price: Various free and paid options are available.
If you know about TestProject, then you must know that it is the world’s first ever cloud-based testing tool that is free and powered by a community test automation platform. This allows users to easily test Web and mobile apps across all platforms. This is one of those cross browser testing tools that assures quality and speed. It allows easy interaction with teams who are using different software testing tools.
Using TestProject’s sophisticated SDK, you may leverage advanced built-in recording features, create and use addons, and construct coded tests, among other things.
- Simply by recording browser actions, it is possible to construct automated tests.
- In order to see exactly what is on your mobile device in real-time, you may mirror its screen in your browser.
- You are able to assess every component of your application.
- You have complete freedom to rearrange the stages, introduce new ones, remove old ones, and more.
Price: Various free and paid options are available.
The Kobiton is a completely mobile testing tools platform that strongly supports scriptless test automation. It can turn your manual testing into automated testing. The production of test scripts using Kobiton can be run on a wide range of devices. It supports Appium, Selenium, XCUI, Expresso, and other scripting languages. It makes doing testing on real devices easier and supports the most recent iOS and Android devices.
There is a quite close integration with your DevOps CI(Continuous Integration)/CD(Continuous Delivery) infrastructure. Kobiton is one of the feature-rich platforms with a slew of features, including automatic crash detection.
- Access to a cloud-based, comprehensive device library for testing, in-depth activity logs, a directory of intelligent applications, simultaneous execution of automation scripts, and much more are just some of the features.
- Appium, Selenium, XCUI, Espresso, and many more are just some of the software testing frameworks that can be integrated.
Price: Kobiton is available to start for $75 per month.
TestArchitect is again another codeless test automation tool that employs Keyword-Driven Testing. This increases test automation coverage and efficiency. With TestArchitect, a small group of technical testers might be helpful for a larger population of less technical testers to achieve 80 percent automated coverage and more.
TestArchitect user-based action testing method which is a newer way of making codes used again and again. It is high in use and low in maintenance. It has a cross-browser facility that supports all types of desktop testing, mobile testing, API and other computer vision testing. You can seamlessly integrate plugins with DevOps tools such as Azure, Jenkins etc.
- You can develop a single test that is compatible with several operating systems by reusing over 400 platform-agnostic, pre-programmed actions.
- Easily determine which characteristics the test automation tool should use to design the UI components of a specific window with the help of the user-friendly Interface Viewer.
Price: Free trial and paid options are available.
Test Complete is used with advanced technologies such as AI and ML. It has also a strong determination towards supporting enterprise applications such as SAP,Salesforce and Oracle. TestComplete allows you to freely do continuous testing. You have to run the functional UI tests on prem and on cloud as well.
- It’s a software testing tool that works with several different scripting languages.
- It enables you to record complex automated tests without needing to know how to write scripts.
- Data-driven testing is available.
- Facilitates the development of user-made add-ons and plugins for Customize.
Price: starts from $1,828.
The next leading one in this list is Ranorex Studio. It wouldn’t be wrong to say that it is an all-in-one cross platform solution for desktop, online, and mobile application testing. More than 5000 organizations across the world are using Ranorex as a software testing tool for their apps. It has a complete feature-rich IDEs with cordless click-and-go interface option available at fingertips. It’s simple for beginners and at the same time equally powerful for software automation experts.
The web components in Ranorex are interchangeable with IDs because they have reliable object identification . While using Ranorex you can share the object repository as it is a cross platform and cross browsing testing application. The code modules are reusable and can save down on test maintenance. Just like other apps, it can also provide integration facilities with other software testing tools such as Jira, Jenkins, TestRail, Git, and Trello.
- Integration with various tools
- GUI recognition
- Record and playback
- Reusable test codes
- Bug detection
Price: Quotation is available on request.
Eggplant is an automated functional testing tool. It uses an image-based approach and this means that this testing tool looks at the device’s screen just like any user and does the image-based UI testing. This approach is completely different from the traditional one and the main reason behind it is that Eggplant tests from the user’s perspective rather than by looking at code. It works across all device types and enables the users to reuse the functional automation when it comes to performance testing.
Besides this, Eggplant offers fast development and it supports platforms like web, mobile, and POS systems. It also helps in testing any technology on any platform from UI, APIs, cloud, database, robotics, and IoT.
- Test creation techniques that are available for both manual and automated.
- Special scripting language offered that resembles English.
- Integration with the Eggplant test environment for enhanced functionality.
- Compatibility with common CI/CD platforms.
Price: 30-days free trial and starts at USD 9999/ 3 months.
MicroFocus may use current Selenium scripts to develop and manage functionality testing, as well as realistic simulations of service behavior, by recording extra steps in Silk Test for desktops or mobile browsers. MicroFocus has a number of advantages, including the ability to interface with security management solutions like Firewalls, intrusion prevention systems, antivirus, and web filtering.
It also has a strong reputation. The tool’s setup was time-consuming and inconvenient, costing the firm points in the usability portion of the assessment criterion. It takes time to connect all of the connectors, in particular.
- Microfous is one of the software testing tools that can be picked up and used by novice testers in a matter of minutes.
- The interface of the tool is straightforward. The testing process is laid out for the user in a straightforward manner.
- The instrument provides a comprehensive suite of checkpoints for application evaluation.
Price – MicroFocus provides a free trial and starts at $3200 per year.
The next one in our list is TestRail. Unlike other software testing tools, this one is a complete package of web-based test case management systems. It is flexible and easily scalable for all types of test needs. You can set up our cloud-based solution in minutes rather than taking days, and it also allows you to perform installation on your own server as well on TestRail. There are many other facilities like it that are capable of managing exploratory testing, manual and automated test cases, plans, and running it on TestRail with ease. You also have access to insightful dashboards, analytics, and activity reports, you can get real-time insights into testing progress.
You can have your own personal to-do lists, achieve set milestones, get notified for specific events, email notifications which in turn out to be extra efficient. You will be able to easily document test cases with screenshots and claim for expected outcomes. Also create your own unique templates or use the flexible built-in templates. The integration with other third-party software like JIRA, Jenkins, TFS, Bugzilla, and other technologies in your CI(Continuous integration)/CD(Continuous Delivery)/DevOps pipeline is also simpler with TestRail. Its profitable option for enterprise-grade applications like large teams and mission-critical projects. Docker containers are supported.
- Insightful dashboards, KPIs, and activity reports provide continuous visibility into testing status.
- Increase productivity with the help of milestones, individual to-do lists, and email alerts.
- Include visuals and intended outcomes when documenting test cases. You may either make use of the existing, adaptable templates, or come up with your own.
- Connect to other parts of your Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment/DevOps suite such as JIRA, Bugzilla, Jenkins, TFS, and more.
- The enterprise version is tailored to big groups and crucial initiatives.
- Availability of Docker container support.
Price: 14-Day Free Trial
Autify’s is empowered with Artificial Intelligence features that has the ability to track user interface changes and will also update the test scenario automatically during deployment. It also adds up value by reducing maintenance issues. The integration with third-party CI/CD tools, or CircleCI, Jenkins, and even Slack are supported by Autify.
- Cross-browser facility
- Multi-device testing features that allows parallel testing
- Auto-repair with AI
- You can do visual regression testing too with this.
Price: 14-day free trial and quote is available on request.
SmartBear is one of the popular names in the list of software testing tools. This Smartbear platform is a ready-to-implement API that is an all-in-one API testing solution. SmartBear offers you almost all types of testing that includes performance, functional,and post-deployment testing. It also works with the rest of the SmartBear testing environment. There are other types of API related testing that you can do such as unified functional testing, load testing, stress testing, security testing, service virtualization, API testing, performance management and everything using API. It also helps you create, develop, and maintain APIs that are all supported by this platform. SmartBear is your go-to partner for all types of API testing capabilities,project management, metrics and reporting, script support, and continuous integration.
- Data-Driven Testing
- The support and Training is free for Smartbear
- Create Automated UI Tests
- It can identify the Object using Artificial Intelligence
- Reporting and analysis of automated tests.
- Keyword-Driven Testing
- Add-On plugin with Intelligent Quality tests
Price: Standard model starts at USD 3655.
This is a powerful cross-platform GUI automation testing tool for desktop, mobile devices, embedded, and web applications. This program automates the regression testing of functional elements and performs tests of their GUIs tests and human-machine interfaces (HMIs). It’s a cross-platform GUI testing tool that facilitates all platforms from AWT, SWT, RCP, Swing, and JavaFx apps, as well as Webkit content.
- Test Verification & Validation
- Powerful and Intuitive automated testing features
- Multiple Real-World Scripting Languages
- Test Creation Environment
- Data-Driven Testing
- Distributed Batch Testing
- Extensive Integration Options.
Price: Starts with $1286 Per month/Starter Kit.
LoadUI is a load testing tool and its most recent version of LoadUI has addressed issues that existed in previous versions. The application is currently available in a Pro version with a drag-and-drop interface that allows for real-time load testing. In this type of API products, you will receive basic functionality for all of them. You can use the minimal features offered with the Ready API platform if you just need to do some basic load testing or want to try out the LoadUI NG experience.
However, if you need to construct complicated scenarios with a lot of load on your API, one of our LoadUI NG Pro tiers would be the best option. You will get advantages from features of the new LoadUI NG Pro . You can perform a variety of testing actions and techniques. You will have feedback on your test results in real time. Your existing SoapUI NG functional tests can be reused. And in case of complex scenarios, you will have to do many load tests at the same time.
- Load Testing
- Cross Browser Testing
- API Testing
- UI Testing
- Parallel Testing
Price: Starts at USD 829/license
WAPT is a load and stress testing tool with a graphical user interface for creating, generating, and monitoring load tests. It makes it simple and affordable to test corporate applications, mobile websites, online portals, and other web-based applications. It employs AJAX and RIA technologies. WAPT uses a data-driven approach to support testing with secure HTTPS websites, dynamic content, and RIA apps.
- Allows for many user types to be tested simultaneously.
- Make available the most adaptable load definitions possible.
- The program employs a wide variety of cutting-edge methods for creating realistic load simulations.
- WAPT allows for the testing of SSL-encrypted websites and apps.
Price: Starts at USD 500.
PractiTest is a full-fledged test management solution. It serves as a single platform for all QA stakeholders, providing comprehensive visibility into the testing process and a better, broader understanding of testing findings. Practitest offers a wide range of diversified sets of third-party integrations with popular bug trackers and automation applications, as well as a strong API for the rest.
In order to meet multiple demands of changing businesses, there are options to customize business using attributes such as fields, views, permissions, problem procedures, and more are fully customizable.Tests can be reused and results can be correlated across different releases and products. With the help of hierarchical filter trees, you can easily organize anything and locate it easily with the unique features of Practitest. If you want to use other features, there are other features too such as anti-bug duplication, permutations, step parameters, and call to test, you should never do the same thing twice.
- Integrations with a wide variety of popular third-party tools, including bug trackers, automation frameworks, and a powerful API.
- Fields, views, permissions, issue procedures, and more can all be modified to fit your specific needs.
- Apply previous testing to newer versions of a product and compare the outcomes.
- Distinctive hierarchical filter trees—keep everything in its place and instantly locate any item.
- With anti-bug duplication, permutations, step parameters, and a call to test, you’ll never have to do the same thing twice.
- Advanced dashboards and reports can be used to visualize data.
- Quick help from experts in both theory and practice.
Price: Starts at USD 49 per user/month.
The next one in our list is QAProSoft which was developed by software engineers of the global open-source community. They did a test SDETs on a QA infrastructure solution which was dockerized and included everything for an automated setup. That test became successful and thus there were many users of QAProsoft later on. The best aspect about QAProSoft is that it is completely free.
Because of its open-source nature, this technology is suitable for integration. You can include multiple notable integrations with bug tracking tools such as Slack, TestRail, Jira, and most other email apps. As a result, it is highly demanding in the integration area of the evaluation criterion. One disadvantage is that this tool necessitates extensive programming abilities; the quality of any automation is determined by the developer’s experience.
- Clear interface
- Compatible across all platforms
- Easily connected with other software testing tools as well
- Zero downtown deploy
- Convenient for all types of report
Price: Open-source and free.
If you are wondering whether this test management tool goes as per the name or not then the answer to this is, Yes it does. This tool is there perfectly for all your business needs. Perfecto is a popular web and mobile application testing platform to amplify your need and boost the software testing life cycle process. It provides complete mobile test coverage and is used for hassle-free device testing of mobile apps. In terms of web testing, it offers 50 percent faster test execution and supports unified web and mobile web testing.
Cloud-based automated testing, as well as usability and performance monitoring, are all available. Visual reports and integrations with several automation frameworks, including open-source choices and HP UFT, are also available with Perfecto’s Mobile Monitoring solution.
- Provides assistance with performance testing and monitoring majorly
- High-level security
- Available for wider options and Devices
- Various automation frameworks are also supported.
Price: Starts at USD 83/month.
The inception of BrowserStack happened in the year 2011. The main purpose of creating Browserstack is to enable testing on both the web and real mobile devices. BrowserStack is a cloud-based cross-browser testing tool that doesn’t require any software to be downloaded or installed. It allows easier testing on a wide range of browsers as well as real devices of varied sizes and resolutions. It is one of the oldest companies in the industry with a sizable market share. BrowserStack provides interaction with real browsers on remote machines in addition to simulators and emulators, which is one of its primary advantages.
- Automated SDKs integration comes in this pack
- It provides support for mobile and web devices, as well as manual and automated testing
- Supports local site testing and geolocation testing
- Pre-loaded images
- Test dependent apps
- Network Simulation
- In-app purchase New
- All Timezone inclusive
Price: Starts at USD 29/month.
Finally, we have reached the bottom of this insightful blog which focuses on how each type of popular software testing tool functions. All these software testing tools are a mix of manual testing as well as automated testing tools. They can easily help you determine the efficiency of an app by performing load testing, api testing, security testing or integration testing or any other type of testing. Some of them are automation testing tools that are favorable for cross-browsing and in cross platform desktop apps and mobile devices. The choice is completely yours on which one suits your needs, budget and application.